The Indian railways provide benefits to small sections of the society that need relief in the form of concessions. Concessions are granted according to the fares of Mail/ Express Trains irrespective of the types of train the passenger travels in, that is, Mail, Express or Passenger.
Concessions are granted to:
· The Blind (with/without escort) with a certificate from a registered medical practitioner or the head of the recognized institution for Blind
· T.B patient (with or without escort) with a certificate from the officer in charge of a recognized T.B Hospital/Sanatorium
· Orthopedically handicapped and paraplegic person (with one escort) with a certificate from a government doctor or an Orthopedic Surgeon.
· Non-infectious leprosy patient (with/without escort) with a certificate from officer-in-charge of a leprosy hospital/ institution/ Clinic.
· Deaf and dumb person with a certificate from a government doctor.
· Teacher honored with National Award with a certificate from a Distance Education Officer
· A War Widow with a certificate from a District Sainik Board Ministry of Defense
· Widow Policemen with a certificate from Superintendent of Police/Deputy Commissioner of Police
· Students of recognized institutions with a certificate from the Head of the Institution
· Recipients of Arjuna Award with a certificate from the Sports Authority of India
· Senior citizens-60 years and above
· Heart patients or patients who have undergone a heart surgery with a certificate from a Heart Surgeon
· Sports people participating in All India, State and International events
· Artists who have a performance
And lots of other people fall under the concession grant under different serial numbers in IRCA Coaching Tariff, Part I (Vol. II).
You will find the Concession Rules applicable and List of different Categories of persons granted concession on the following link: